OLPC 10.1.2 Release Candidate 1

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 12:07:22 EDT 2010

--- On Thu, 8/5/10, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:

> From: Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org>
> Subject: OLPC 10.1.2 Release Candidate 1
> To: "Fedora OLPC" <fedora-olpc-list at redhat.com>
> Cc: testing at lists.laptop.org, "Devel" <devel at lists.laptop.org>
> Date: Thursday, August 5, 2010, 2:45 PM
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/10.1.2
>
> http://build.laptop.org/10.1.2/xo-1.5/os850
> http://build.laptop.org/10.1.2/xo-1/os850

I both olpc-update and clean install os850 in an XO-1 and an XO-1.5 without any problems. It works well in both models and all applications I tried are working fine.

One exception is yum on the XO-1. Without swap any transaction that involves more than 10MB of download will either end up quitting the terminal (as in "yum update") or freeze the XO-1 (as in "yum install etoys").
Addition of swap remedies this issue. I do not know if anything can be done about it. I guess kids will not use swap but neither yum.
Would be nice though if yum does not freeze the XO-1 at least when runs out of space in the middle of a download.

A couple of  little things that will make the build look more "polished" is changing the _MAX_COLUMNS of .../controlpanel/gui.py to "4" (till a proper solution can be found) and changing Firefox's layout.css.dpi to "96".  Everyone will stumble upon those sooner or later.