olpc-os-builder repository help

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Aug 3 03:00:53 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 10:39:21AM +0430, javed khan wrote:
> now i have some question
> I want to create local repository, so which files i should download from
> http://xs-dev.laptop.org/~dsd/repos/
> there are three folders
> f11
> f11-xo1.5
> f11-xo1
> there are tons of files there.
> now what should i do, download all three folders, or download some spceific
> files from each folder.
> here in Ministry of Education (Afghanistan) we have a shared 1mb internet which
> is the main probelm.

The files are downloaded by osbuilder.py and kept in cache/ directory
for re-use, so be sure not to delete cache/ directory and therefore each
download should happen only once no matter how many builds you run.

This might be enough for you without creating a local repository.

I've done this on a slow rural connection (3mb) and it wasn't as costly
as I had feared.  By taking a local backup of cache/ directory for
additional builder instances, I've saved much download time.

Unfortunately, there still seems to be some downloads of repodata/ that
are not cached, so I can certainly see the need for a local repository.

If you would like to create a local repository, you could select the
latest version of the .i386.rpm, .i586.rpm or .noarch.rpm files.

The .src.rpm files are not needed by the builder, so you need not select
them.

If you are building for XO-1, select files from f11/ and f11-xo1/
directories.

If you are building for XO-1.5, select files from f11/ and f11-xo1.5/
directories.

You need the repodata/ directory as well.

I do not recall how to use a local repository in .ini files, but there's
a modules/repos/README file in olpc-os-builder that may help.

Regarding slow links where downloads may be broken.  There does not
appear to be rsync access to these files, but wget --continue works
fine.  The only problem I can see with using wget blindly is that there
are older versions of kernels that are not required.  There is little
point downloading them.  This command is faulty approximation:

	wget --continue --timestamping --recursive --no-parent \
             --reject=src.rpm http://xs-dev.laptop.org/~dsd/repos/

See man wget for how to restrict this further.

If you can document the steps you used to get everything local, please
let me know and I'll add something to the documentation in
olpc-os-builder.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/