New keyboard layouts

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Wed Apr 28 15:01:45 EDT 2010

noiseehc wrote:
 > Could you just put UP to the place of ?, put ? to the place of RIGHT,
 > and put RIGHT to the place of UP?
 > I am not THAT old to understand what is so cool about that "hjkl vi
 > arrangement" and I guess no children will either.
 > I feel that moving just one more key from its 101 key standard position
 > cannot suck more that the current arrow key arrangement...

please don't misunderstand -- the intention of the arrow key arrangement
never had the goal of recreating hjkl.  if that had been the goal, we
could have put the arrows _on_ h, j, k, and l, and used the Fn key to
produce them, which is how those vi commands came about in the first
place:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KB_Terminal_ADM3A.svg
obviously, compatibility with a 35 year old terminal is uninteresting.

the real goal was to not misplace the ? key.

paul