[ANNOUNCE] Tiny Core Linux for XO-1 and XO-1.5

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 26 10:14:25 EDT 2010

--- On Mon, 4/26/10, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> From: James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org>
> Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Tiny Core Linux for XO-1 and XO-1.5
> To: "Yioryos Asprobounitis" <mavrothal at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "OLPC Devel" <devel at lists.laptop.org>, fedora-olpc-list at redhat.com
> Date: Monday, April 26, 2010, 1:44 AM
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:08:09PM
> -0700, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:
> > --- On Sun, 4/25/10, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org>
> wrote:
> > > Cool.? Looks like quite a bit of invested time
> > > required if anyone wants
> > > to use this ...
> >
> > ???
> > could you clarify on the time investment?
>
> Your documentation was not easily used.  It was
> complex and difficult.
>
> [...]

I hate repetition, but you are right. For someone that stumbles upon v2 for first time is a mess.
What about this then http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/TinyCore_for_XO1/Announce%20tc-xo_02%20for%20the%20XO-1.html
(the url is beyond my control)

> And can you explain *here* (not there) what it is about dd
> that makes
> you think it damages media?

Regarding dd-mediated installations, I do not like them because they do not respect the factory optimized partitioning.
So I prefer to change the filesystem in the factory partitions rather than repartition the media (as dd-methods usually do).
By itself will not damage the media, but on the long run it may.