Camera, XO 1.5 vs XO 1

Tiago Marques tiagomnm at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 12:43:29 EDT 2010

Hi Chris

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:

> Hi Tiago,
>
> You don't mention which build you're using, and it's important because
> we're still making many changes to the camera setup, so please do that
> in future.

Sorry about that, it's the latest versions:

XO 1 uses 8.2.0(767), that's the latest stable right?
XO 1.5 10.2.0 build 120.

>   > - XO 1 has slower response time in the video being shown.
>
> I think this is probably http://dev <http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10045>

* ** Blocked By:** *

*Blocking:** *

.laptop.org/ticket/10045 <http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10045>.

> The 1.5 setup is capable of producing many more fps from the camera
> than 1.0, and Record doesn't use a framerate limiter on the preview
> window, with the result that you see a very high fps on the 1.5
> preview window at the cost of so much CPU use that Record becomes
> unresponsive.
>
> Daniel Drake's latest patches to Record add a framerate limiter to
> its preview window, which will make 1.5 behave more like 1.0.

I didn't said it became unresponsive, just that 1.5 was improved(at least
from a user's perspective). The high FPS is great, it's a shame that there
is never enough disk space to make use of it :)

>   > - XO 1 has a much brighter picture, which results in a
>   > much clearer one.  Even with good surrounding light, the 1.5
>   > shows a very dark image.
>
> Don't know about this.  We do have some control over brightness/gain
> in the kernel driver, I think.
>
>   > - XO 1.5 record isn't saving more than 2s of video.
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10070.  Was fixed back in os119, as far
> as we know.

As above, tested in build 120 :|

>   > I thought that the camera sensor had been exchanged between
>   > revisions but I've just checked and it's the same. What gives?
>   > Software?
>
> Yes, the sensor's the same, but the hardware and software interfacing
> to it is different.
>
> os121 (about to be released) should be able to record video well,
> please re-test with that when it's out.

Ok, will do, thanks. For now it's mostly the darker image that's an issue.
It's not that it's bad per se, but the XO1 picture is definitely great.

Best regards,
Tiago