Help with permissions under Rainbow sought

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-olpc-devel at silbe.org
Sun Apr 18 08:10:27 EDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 09:26:23PM -0400, George Hunt wrote:

> I am using an ipython console application which writes a history file
> to the home directory (I changed the HOME environment to
> SUGAR_ROOT/data).
Have you considered saving the history as part of the data store entry
instead? That way your activity wouldn't mix histories from separate
sessions (i.e. when debugging several different programs).

> Rainbow changes UID for every invocation [...]
Yes, that's the default behaviour. Rainbow can be instructed to use a
constant UID (Browse does); according to the OLPC wiki [1] you'd need to
add a file activity/permissions.info, containing "constant-uid" on a
single line.
This is the least preferable solution, though.

> Apparently the create mask rainbow uses is 755 and group members do
> not have write access.
It's not Rainbow that decides this. Permissions of newly created file
system entries (i.e. files and directories) are determined by the umask
(see e.g. "man 2 umask"). You can either widen the permissions after
creation using chmod() (see "pydoc os.chmod") or tweak the umask (see
"pydoc os.umask"); since the latter affects _all_ created files I would
recommend the chmod() (you could save+restore the umask, but it's prone
to race conditions).

[1]
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_bundles#activity.2Fpermissions.info

CU Sascha