the old keypad behavior gets too sensitive

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Fri Apr 16 17:57:31 EDT 2010

> I have been running into this with the XO-1.5 prototype but thought it
> was either a prototype issue or my fat fingers.. however I noticed it
> with my kid also. Pretty much the same behaviour you list below.. in
> low humidity the cursor will move without touching the keyboard. Is
> there anything I can do to help debug/fix this for people (New Mexico
> is pretty much always low humidity)

I have seen a symptom in several Ubuntu Jaunty and Karmic machines in
which the cursor runs to the upper right corner of the screen, for no
reason.  This is with different input devices (HP mice, Acer laptop
trackpad).  It occurs both while scrolling by mousing a scrollbar, and
when typing (the active window loses focus and the typing goes where
it doesn't belong).  My tentative conclusion is that it's caused by a
longstanding Linux kernel bug.  If true, this bug is also likely to be
in the XO operating system, and may be confounding your ability to
detect and debug hardware or firmware problems with the XO trackpad.

	John