the old keypad behavior gets too sensitive

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 15:37:01 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
> I usually operate my XO with an external USB trackball, and have no
> problem with cursor positioning.  Lately I've often needed to operate
> XOs (hdw early G1G1, but F11 build) with the native keypad, and I can
> appreciate the many complaints I have heard about using the old keypad.

I have been running into this with the XO-1.5 prototype but thought it
was either a prototype issue or my fat fingers.. however I noticed it
with my kid also. Pretty much the same behaviour you list below.. in
low humidity the cursor will move without touching the keyboard. Is
there anything I can do to help debug/fix this for people (New Mexico
is pretty much always low humidity)

> In my case, the keypad exhibits too much sensitivity.  Whenever the
> humidity is low, just waving my fingers half an inch above the keypad is
> enough to result in cursor position movement.  And the cursor jumps both
> as I am bringing a finger (through the air) down onto the keypad, AND
> when I am lifting the finger (through the air) away from the keypad.
> [Also, just placing a finger at the "mouse buttons" at the bottom of the
> keypad is often enough to cause the cursor position to change.]
>
> Leaving the keypad alone (to give it time to self-calibrate) does not
> seem to help.  The four-finger recalibrate works, but its effect soon
> "wears off", and the keypad goes back to being "too sensitive" again.
>

> Are there any software parameters that I can play with, to try to
> "dampen" the unwanted cursor position changes that I'm seeing ?
>
> Thanks,  mikus

Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning