tap-to-click feedback

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 11:35:58 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Ed McNierney <ed at laptop.org> wrote:
> Paul -
>
> This issue has bubbled up from time to time over the last 18 months or so (judging from my email archives).  It is not at all clear to me that there is indeed a "consensus from deployments"; some like it, some don't.

Who are the ones that like it?  I don't remember any good feedback.

> We tend to (unsurprisingly) hear little or nothing from the people who think it's working just fine, and it is very easy for a local group in which a few folks think the behavior is wrong to quickly collectively conclude that it's wrong.  We've deployed hundreds of thousands of machines since this change, and I don't think we've seen hundreds of thousands of complaints.

When we first started testing the new pads this issues came up and
because it was a change in behavior from the way ALPS worked.  I
remember the end result was to disable it.  The problem is that its on
by default in the hardware.  You have to turn it off.  To turn it off
you have to run the synaptics driver.  Running the synaptics driver
caused many regressions.   We had too many other things to work on
rather than the synaptics driver so it shipped with it enabled.

--
Richard A. Smith