tap-to-click feedback

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Thu Apr 15 11:18:34 EDT 2010

daniel wrote:
 > On 15 April 2010 11:40, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
 > > On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Sebastian Silva
 > > <sebastian at fuentelibre.org> wrote:
 > >> BTW how do you disable it?
 > >
 > > Yeah -- can we disable it easily on F11 builds?
 >
 > (speaking only for XO) No. We would have to change mouse driver which
 > introduces a handful of regressions, will need some real effort to
 > resolve. See the discussions earlier in the thread.
 >
 > The most realistic quick-fix option I can think of is adding a small
 > hack into the psmouse driver in the OLPC kernel, which sends the
 > single command needed to disable tap-to-click. Last time I looked at
 > this code I remember thinking that this would be quite easy, since the
 > more-powerful synaptics driver doesn't actually change the mode of the
 > mouse, it just takes advantage of a whole load of non-standard
 > commands.

that's a good idea.

if such a thing were to be introduced, and if it could be made
run-time or boot-time controllable, i take it the consensus from
deployments is that tap-to-click is more confusing than helpful,
and it should be disabled by default.  correct?

(i know that i myself find it annoying.  the XO is annoying
enough to type on, without having my windows flip out from under
me because i have careless thumbs.)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org