Troubles reconnecting new ALPS controller

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Wed Apr 14 20:10:21 EDT 2010

On Apr 14, 2010, at 7:39 PM, Daniel Drake wrote:

> On 14 April 2010 20:06, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
>>
>> Teach the repair centers to not disconnect that cable.
>
> I might be wrong but isn't it necessary to unplug it in order to
> replace the keyboard?
> It certainly makes replacing the keyboard controller impossible, but
> that isn't something I've seen necessary very often.
>
>> The connector is designed for a single insertion, and
>> no removal.   This wasn't clear to us/Quanta until recently.
>>
>> We've discussed replacing it.   The idea behind that
>> connector is that it will never become disconnected accidentally.
>> It'll probably happen, but until then:
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/File:XO1.5_USBKB_Photo10.jpg
>
> Oh wait, are you saying it's not OK to remove the connector that is
> crossed out by the red, but it is OK to remove the other end?

Exaclty.

> Today we had the problem when removing that "other end" and it's not
> the first time I've seen it happen. The black thing came off and
> doesn't attach itself again.

Tell them to be more careful.   That identical style connector is used
for the display as well.   Unless you are abusive it should survive
several tens of cycles.

I believe that if you examine the connector and the part that came off
carefully, you can reattach them.   Again, it could also have been ripped
off in a manner that broke it.

wad