[IAEP] Long-term development strategy (Was: New XO-1.5 10.2.0 build 119)

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 21:37:47 EDT 2010

IMHO I not only agree 120%, but also OLE Bolivia has budgeted support
for upstreaming development.
The idea being, if we are going to benefit, as an
institution/country/project from work done professionally, if we are
going to depend on it and expect it keeps up with improvements, then we
have a duty to feed it, upstream, regularly.

While an individual needs not be made responsible for that, I believe
that any deployment above, say, 30-50 machines should consider helping
fund development, at the local level especially, and have that
development be made available to others.  Deployments above the 1.000
units definitely can be counted as fair play when they have people on
staff who are regularly connected with others worldwide in this effort.

One of the uglier sides of piracy is that there is little sense of the
duty to give back that has been built over the years.

Hopefully we will get our project permitted to start sometime soon and
we'll be able to contribute, as we have already benefited a lot from
y'alls work.  As Bernie says, there is a lot of skills out there, just
waiting to be given a chance.

Yama