Long-term development strategy (Was: New XO-1.5 10.2.0 build 119)

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Apr 12 19:02:34 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 06:12:46PM -0400, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> In the past, Sugar and OLPC development was much hurt by its
> disconnection from the rest of the free software ecosystem on which it
> was built. We need to get much closer to our upstream projects, both in
> time (by using current software) and in space (by not diverging our
> codebase). It's not just a technological issue, it's a long-term
> sustainability issue.

+1

I've also observed a correlation between cost of fixing problems and the
release distance between the version we have and the upstream versions
available.

This distance, or lag, is important in the enterprise context, where
I've worked for years in support ... but the lag causes higher costs
that enterprise users can bear.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/