tool elitism

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Apr 12 18:30:40 EDT 2010

I know I shouldn't feed the troll but ...

On 12.04.2010, at 22:59, Carlos Nazareno wrote:

> What I'm saying is that there's an army of us out there who can be
> willing to volunteer and dev for the XO. However, a lot of us don't
> have the luxury to learn Python/Sugarization or maybe just work best
> with the tools we're comfortable with. Most of us are Windows users
> too. Can't we volunteer to develop content for the OLPC with our tools
> if they can run decently and play well?

Of course you can. *Nobody* is preventing you from using any tool you like for this.

> I can't believe I'm saying this (shudder), but aside from Flash, why
> not also look into Moonlight and maybe ask Microsoft for help getting
> it running well so that C#,VB & .NET coders can also contribute
> content for the XO?

Go ahead. Ask them. Nobody here is keeping you.

> Look. I'm really serious here.
> What if there are thousands of us out there who want to develop
> content for OLPC, but just can't because it's Python/Sugar?

You seriously have no idea. Sugar apps can be written in *any* language, if it can show an X11 window. For full integration it also needs D-Bus bindings. That's it. I know, because I did it. How about you?

> I hope I haven't offended anyone. I really hope you guys see what I'm
> trying to say because OLPC needs all the help it can get (and you
> don't need to compromise your principles). I'm sorry to be blunt, but
> OLPC has already jaded and alienated a lot of supporters (just read
> Slashdot, the largest nerd army in the world). By creating additional
> avenues for developers to contribute, I hope we can revive and
> increase interest for volunteers.

You're offending us insofar as you are wasting our time by not doing your homework. Get your facts straight before complaining.

- Bert -