Flash + AIR on OLPC

Stanley Sokolow overbyte at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 12 14:00:04 EDT 2010

That page shows Vyew.com running on Xubuntu on the XO-1.   In my experience,
Vyew.com is "something outstanding for learning
with low barriers of entry and no ceiling" that Martin asked to see built
with Flash.  (Stanford University uses Vyew for its Stanford Engineering
Everywhere<http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080917005182&newsLang=en>platform,
so Stanford agrees that Vyew is worthwhile for a learning/teaching
platform.)

The Xubuntu (or Fedora) system could be stripped further to make it
extremely austere (only the icons and menus you want the student to see),
much like Sugar.   The point is that a "no ceiling" application like Vyew,
which is a teaching and learning platform on which creative minds can build
interactive educational experiences, can be built in Flash to run on an XO.
I'm not suggesting that the OLPC developers try to recreate Vyew.  I'm
saying that Vyew shows how capable the Flash platform is, even using free
tools to build and deploy it.

>From what I've been reading from OLPC contributors, there seems to be a
dichotomy between people who want to keep the system "pure" free-open-source
versus others who are more interested in getting something good built even
if it incorporates some free but not open source software.  I'm a
pragmatist.   Until FOSS can provide the tools I need to create what I want,
I'm not averse to using what I can get now and porting to FOSS later when it
catches up.

Stan