OFW access from linux

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Wed Sep 16 10:28:09 EDT 2009

mitch wrote:
 > Martin Dengler wrote:
 > > On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 11:18:17AM +0800, Mitch Bradley wrote:
 > >
 > >> It is gratifying that so many people like the idea of being able to zap
 > >> back into OFW from Linux - especially since I got such intense pushback
 > >> when I first proposed leaving OFW resident on OLPC.
 > >>

 > > Why?  Security reasons?
 > >

 > Other than "it uses some memory and every byte is precious", a lot of
 > the objections were of the ilk "I wouldn't use it so it's not useful".

i glanced at an old email thread on the topic the other day, and
it sounded like there was also some thought that the emphasis
should be on tools, like kgdb, which can be more general purpose,
and more widely used and maintained.  to which i'd say, the more
the merrier -- i'd love to use kgdb regularly, but it requires a
second machine, and it ties up scarce serial ports.  so OFW is a
win, for my current uses.

mitch -- i think i saw something that implied OFW could do symbolic
kernel debug -- true?  is there a howto, or other doc somewhere?

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org