OFW access from linux

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Wed Sep 16 08:30:05 EDT 2009

Martin Dengler wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 11:18:17AM +0800, Mitch Bradley wrote:
>
>> It is gratifying that so many people like the idea of being able to zap
>> back into OFW from Linux - especially since I got such intense pushback
>> when I first proposed leaving OFW resident on OLPC.
>>

> Why?  Security reasons?

Other than "it uses some memory and every byte is precious", a lot of
the objections were of the ilk "I wouldn't use it so it's not useful".

It seems to me that some fraction of kernel developers have an attitude
that "some BIOSes have given us a lot of trouble therefore anything in
the BIOS realm sucks and firmware is not to be trusted and the only true
and blessed code is in the Linux kernel".

That's obviously a caricature, but I think it conveys an undercurrent of
thought that exists at some level.