open 80211s on XO 1.5

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Fri Oct 30 15:32:46 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Ed McNierney <ed at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Oct 30, 2009, at 2:21 PM, Sameer Verma wrote:
>
>> to allow for meshing a la XO1
>
> Sameer -
>
> Are you in fact using 802.11s mesh networking on XO-1 machines?  Or are you
> rather using ad-hoc networking and collaboration features?  Mesh networking
> is exceptionally difficult to use properly on an XO-1, and I'm not aware of
> any real-world installations of it.
>
>        - Ed

Hi Ed,

When we have meetings at OLPC-SF the XO-1 that people bring to the
meetings (anywhere from 5 to 30+ machines) all use mesh (draft 80211s
at layer 2, as far as I can tell). We also usually have a school
server running on a XO1 (via SD card), which I believe is also using
draft 80211s mesh. I do have a prototype mesh antenna, which when
plugged into a (non-XO based) schoolserver provides a mesh node (draft
80211s).  This is based on my impression and understanding of things.
I don't think any of the above mentioned scenarios use ad-hoc mode. Is
this correct?

Real world scenarios will involve schools of several hundred XOs, but
should also include scenarios of a handful of XOs in the under-a-tree
model. The collaboration aspect is further up the layers, so I
understand that it will be oblivious to how the network or data link
layer creates the p2p network.

My goal in posting to the 80211s list was to see if the current radio
would possibly support open80211s at some point.

cheers,
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems