OOM conditions

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Fri Oct 30 11:58:33 EDT 2009

In a LWN discussion thread on how google uses the kernel I found the following:

==================
2) Mike asked why the kernel tries so hard to allocate memory - why not just fail to allocate if there is too much pressure. Why isn't disabling overcommit enough?

Posted Oct 24, 2009 1:26 UTC (Sat) by Tomasu (subscriber, #39889) [Link]

2) probably because they actually want some over-commit, but they don't want the OOM thread to go wild killing everything, and definitely not the WRONG thing.

Posted Oct 25, 2009 19:24 UTC (Sun) by oak (subscriber, #2786) [Link]

In the Maemo (at least Diablo release) kernel source there are
configurable limits for when kernel starts to deny allocations and when to
OOM-kill (besides notifying user-space about crossing of these and some
earlier limits). If process is set as "OOM-protected", its allocations
will also always succeed. If "OOM-protected" processes waste all memory
in the system, then they can also get killed.

Working the table at the Boston book festival I was reminded how painful the OOM stuff is on a gen 1. The demo machines were in this state a lot as each visitor would open up a new program.  Basically you have to just turn the unit off and restart as trying to recover is futile.  The 1GiB of memory on 1.5 will help with this somewhat but in most cases it just means that you shift the problem.  Users being users will still open up too much and the 1GiB isn't an option for Gen 1.0 users.

The OOM topic and what to do in that case has come up several times in the past.  If Maemo thinks they have a reasonable solution to the problems then someone should look at trying to add that to our kernel and user space

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child