the importance of providing swap space

Tiago Marques tiagomnm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 10:10:26 EDT 2009

It seems you got lucky, the most common behavior is for it to "crash".

I've been an advocate of "SWAP for the XO" since I got one, even
things like browsing become many times faster. It becomes even more
important on the XO OS because it seems to take up anywhere from
30-80MiB more than a similar distribution.
Some users of DebXO have reported that they don't need swap and I've
also noticed that memory requirements on my custom built xfce Gentoo
are much lower. I can get Firefox open with 3-5 tabs and stay below
70MiB whereas on the Fedora, even with XFCE, It usually goes up to
more than 120MiB. Open a PDF and you're done.

Best regards,
Tiago