XO-1 -> XO-1.5 upgrades?

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Fri Oct 16 15:25:31 EDT 2009

this is probably the wrong list to ask this on, but since I'm not sure
which would be the right one I'll ask here.

has there been any thought to providing some sort of XO-1 to XO-1.5
upgrade path for the G1G1 buyers? I got 8 of these for family members (and
testing), and while I consider the investment worthwhile, it's going to be
hard for me to justify doing this again at full (2x) price for the 1.5
laptops (if the economy was a bit better, possibly, but not at the moment)

I'm not suggesting that you do anything that would end up running under
cost, but something at cost (as opposed to at 2x cost) would be a very
nice thing to offer for the early supporters who used the G1G1 program.

I suspect that the hassle of checking, warehouseing, cleaning, etc the
XO-1 laptops would mean that there would be little, if any value to OLPC
in getting the XO-1 laptops back (unless there was a charitible
orginization that they would want to give them to as-is), so it's probably
cheapest and easiest if the people who purchased through the G1G1 program
were to just get an offer to guy an equal number of XO-1.5 boxes at ~cost.

I know this is a bit early as you are still working the bugs out of the
1.5 laptops, but things like this take a while to get figured out.

thoughts?

David Lang