XO-1.5 follow-on impression

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Oct 16 13:01:16 EDT 2009

Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> Was able to use the XO-1.5 (os32) at another location, connected
> without a proxy.

I don't quite understand this statement.  Were you connected to the XO-1.5
over the internet, using a technique like X forwarding or VNC?

> The principal user-perception experience where improvement would
> still be welcome is video support.  Changes to the screen (e.g.,
> show/hide Frame) are not being done "smoothly".  And when viewing
> "moving pictures", the currently scanty hardware acceleration (e.g.,
> ticket #9407) is noticeable.

In the case of a remote desktop session over the internet, video
performance is almost always limited by the network and protocol, not the
server hardware's rendering speed.