Determining erase block size (was: Re: Images partitioned right? Good USB drives?)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-olpc-devel at silbe.org
Sat Oct 10 06:54:10 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 11:26:05PM -1000, Mitch Bradley wrote:

> You can get the erase block size from SD cards - it's in the Card
> Specific Data structure - but I don't know of any standard way to get
> it for USB mass storage devices.
Ah, now you mention it I remember. :)
Not sure I would trust it, though: It's limited to 256KB by the SD
standard (max. write block size 2KB, max erase block size 128 write
blocks) and even my 16GB card sets the write block size to 512 (=> erase
block size 64KB).
I've put up a script for reading the erase block size in Linux at [1].

[1] http://sascha.silbe.org/tmp/printcsd.py

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/