[Server-devel] Proxy auto-configuration

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Nov 30 06:17:19 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 09:52, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 12:15 AM, Andrew McMillan <andrew at morphoss.com> wrote:
>> I run WPAD here with Mozilla, and it works well.  It will generally be
>> through DNS since that's the more reliable way of finding it, but it
>> does require the browser to make a check for it.
>
> Looks like we need some investigation into how to get Browse.xo to do it... :-)
>
>> then perhaps a
>> post DHCP hook could request the WPAD file, crudely parse it for the
>> real proxy address and stuff that into the Browse.xo configuration.
>
> Probably worth trying the "right" fix before the crude one. If
> Browse.xo can DTRT with WPAD, a sideeffect will be that it'll work in
> proxied+WPADded networks.

Yes, please don't treat Browse as a black box, it's python and uses
mozilla's XPCOM, which for all its faults should make all these
customizations very easy. What may need to be done in order of
likeness:

- configure the XS in the same way as Firefox needs,

- tweak some of Browse's configuration (
~/.sugar/default/org.laptop.WebActivity/data/gecko/prefs.js ),

- call some method in a XPCOM component, such as:

http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.9.1/source/netwerk/base/public/nsIProtocolProxyService.idl#220

Regards,

Tomeu

> And if the XS does the conventional WPAD thing, other browsers that
> know how to do WPAD will be able to connect...

> --
>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
>  - ask interesting questions
>  - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
>  - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff

Farning