3D acceleration

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Sat Nov 28 12:08:20 EST 2009

Hi,

   > IMHO, it is quite sad that they're paying an employee to get the
   > code merged and the person is apparently being ignored. The lack
   > of time by the maintainer certainly doesn't help Linux out on
   > hardware support...

As I understand it, the only use for that particular DRM code is to
enable Via's closed-source 3D blob to work.  As such, it's being
(correctly) mostly ignored by the kernel people, whose policy is not
to accept patches that merely provide hooks for closed-source modules.

There are a few attempts to develop an open-source 3D driver for Via
chips, but it's unclear which type of DRM they'll end up using.  If
they use the DRM provided by this patch, it would then make sense to
merge it.

(DRM = Direct Rendering Manager, not that other thing.)

--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child