Power LED not switching to green even when fully charged

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Thu Nov 26 00:51:12 EST 2009

> Hi all,
>
> I just noticed that even after a night of charging an XO-1.5 the power LED
> is still orange and hasn't switched to green (as it did with the XO-1 when
> the battery was fully charged).
>
> I know this is only a tiny detail but I was wondering whether this happens
> on purpose or if this might point to some low-level fault or something?

Its certainly not on purpose and does not happen on my 1.5's.

One of the changes we made to help prevent charge balance was to adjust the  "Full" condition to by a taper charge of near 100mA . ( I think the exact number is 116mA)  I've noticed a few in some of my power testing runs that some laptops take quite a bit longer to reach full. (This is XO-1 q2e41).  I've seen one or 2 take 3 hours.  And in at least 1 case I've seen symptoms similar to yours, although I didn't leave it over night.  I think the setting might be a bit too low.

To check if this is whats happening please grab the latest olpc-pwr-log from http://dev.laptop.org/~rsmith and run it while charging to see what the current is.

If its less than 120mA then the next step would be to use bat-debug from OFW in the latest firmware to look at whats going on with some of the EC variables.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child