8.2.x, touchpads and papercuts

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Wed Nov 25 15:24:58 EST 2009

> Last time I mentioned I was looking at a simple, low risk 8.2.x
> release, Richard and Paul jumped on me with "gotta recompile that
> kernel!". Clearly, they are men of mystery, fast cars, women and in
> their book, yeah, changing the kernel, low risk mate :-)

I assert that in the absence of controlled regression testing there are no "low-risk" changes.  My position is based on ROI for this change and not a risk metric.

The touchpad issue is a very common problem and not having the driver as a module is a significant barrier to both testing and implementing any attempts we have at fixing the problem.  If we go to the trouble of doing a release it seems silly not to make this change.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child