slimming icon theme caches

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Mon Nov 23 18:43:12 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 4:46 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> On 24/11/2009, at 2:19 AM, Daniel Drake wrote:
>> This saved some disk space and presumably made olpc-update run a bit
>> quicker (this file tends to change on a rebuild even if nothing else has
>> changed).
>
> I've not looked into it, but I wonder what it is about the file contents that causes a frequent change, and whether the format can be adjusted to reduce the effect, or make it more easily rsyncable.

Timestamps, including timestamps associated with when the
cache-generation code was last run (which changes on every build).
IIRC the actual icon files have timestamps correlated with the RPM
creation time, so if we just stuck to those it would all be reasoable
rsync-able -- but it doesn't.  I don't remember the exact details.
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )