New F11 for XO-1.5 build 43

Bert Freudenberg bert at
Fri Nov 20 09:37:58 EST 2009

On 20.11.2009, at 12:48, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 20.11.2009, at 12:42, Daniel Drake wrote:
>> On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 09:49 +0100, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
>>> I was wondering whether it was possible to upgrade the software on
>>> XO-1.5s without having to completely reflash the machine (which as I
>>> understand it is what fs-update does)? So basically I'd be looking for
>>> something similar to "olpc-update".
>> olpc-update seems to be working but there is no server available yet.
>> For now you have to use fs-update.
>> Daniel
> It should be pretty simple to backup /home/olpc, flash, restore.
> - Bert -

In fact, we used to do that years ago before olpc-update worked reliably. Attaching my two old scripts (updated to include ~/.gconf and tested in upgrading to os43). Just put both scripts on a USB memory stick. They are meant to be run as root, but you could easily remove the non-user dirs from the script.

Before reflashing, backup:

After reflashing, restore:
   mount /dev/sda /media

Reboot. Done. The manual mount is necessary because the Journal is not running yet and not auto-mounting the stick.

The file is stored on the USB memory with a machine-specific name, so you can use it to backup/restore different machines.

- Bert -