OS and Firmware testing for XO 1.5 B2

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Tue Nov 17 23:59:51 EST 2009

Thank very much for this report.
Please trac serious problems!

Comments inline,
wad

On Nov 15, 2009, at 2:51 PM, Tiago Marques wrote:

> Hi all,
> Here's some data I collected:
>
> Firmware Q3A13-Q3A15:
>     OS30:
>         hdparm -t /dev/mmcblk0: ~700KiB/s (buffered), this is too slow
> for these cards, should be at least 2MiB/s
>
>     OS32:
>         Gnash and youtube don't work, just an error screen. This is
> for an older codec and newer h.264
>         Two battery icons/devices. One works and gets updated, the
> other mimics the real battery at boot and stays that way.
>         Screen corruption in both gnome and sugar, when minimizing
> window or using the frame, for instance.
>         No speaker hum is a plus, contrary to XO-1. When the mic led
> is turned on there is a hum with no sound but some piece of software
> usually turns both off. Kudos, some power is being saved here see:
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9505
>         Pretty fast boot times
>         Slow app load times (perhaps the performance issue found with
> hdparm, see below)
>         hdparm -tT /dev/mmcblk:
>                   cached: 11, 13, 0.75, 0.622, 42, 83, 8.9, 138
>                   buffered: 1.10, 4.6, 3.86, 3, 4, 2.6, 0.86, 1.28
>         Video(flash player 10):
>                   h.264: ok, no skips in sound, ~3-10 fps(rough
> estimate)
>                   older(mpeg-2?): very good performance

>         Speakers don't turn off, sometimes, when phones plugged in, at
> OFW playing the boot song.
Not surprising, as the speaker mute on headphone insert is now
implemented
by software (and probably not in OFW).  Please trac this as low
priority.

>      OS34:
>          Still two batteries
>          Video seems to play at the same framerate as OS32 but h.264
> is stalling a lot, skipping music even. Not network related, video was
> buffered more than enough. This was reproduced consistently.
>          Connects to all my APs fine, which was something
> problematic(still is) in the XO-1. Connecting to WPA-EAP wasn't a
> problem with Gnome's nm-applet.
>
>      OS40+Q3A16:
>          KB and touchpad hanged after firmware upgrade, USB worked
> fine. Removed the battery.
>          hdparm -tT /dev/mmcblk:
>                   cached: ~245MB/s, very consistent
>                   buffered: 10.8-16.5, the 16+ MB/s figure is much
> more common than the ~10MB/s one (this is excellent! Are you caching
> data in RAM somehow?)
There is no way this is accurate.  It is being cached...

>          Apps boot reasonably fast now
>          No screen flash anymore
>          Jumpy mouse issue seems better but not gone.
>          Still displays two batteries (mimics on sugar but doesn't
> update, shows 0% in gnome)
>          Mouse cursor not animated on Gnome.
>          Firefox in Gnome has a too big default "zoom". Fonte size in
> Gnome Apps is good.
>          Browse seems to need an extra level of zoom.
>          Youtube video (adobe flash)
>                  h.264: ok, no skips in sound, occasional 1s video
> stall, ~6-12fps measured with "show video info" option
>                  older: ok, very good performance, no sound skips,
> occasional 1s skips on video(not unlike my desktop machine)
>          Gnash and youtube is a no go. No error now, just a black
> screen
>
> Overall:
>    Wireless signal seems better over XO-1
>    Apps are ***much*** more usable with the extra CPU and RAM. Hasn't
> "locked" once due to lack of RAM and swap space, as was common with
> the XO-1.
>    It's a shame browse doesn't let you launch more than one instance
> now and there are no tabs.
>    Switch from gnome to sugar works great.

>    Hardware seems to suffer greatly from electrical noise coming from
> the motherboard, shuts off when opening an app, minimizing apps,
> maximizing etc. Perhaps C-states related?

Please trac this immediately!!!     http://dev.laptop.org
Email to devel is interesting, but Trac is the tool for reporting
problems
like this.   This is the first we've heard of something like this.
We certainly haven't seen it around here.

>    CPU doesn't throttle but hits 90ÂșC when running show-temperature.
> Haven't had time to check if it's proper contact or not.
90C is fine for the die temperature (which is what is being reported.)
Without throttling and no heat spreader, you would see 120+
Throttling should keep it below 100C