signed F11 for XO-1

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu Nov 5 13:53:47 EST 2009

2009/11/5 Esteban Bordon <ebordon at plan.ceibal.edu.uy>:
> I saw the OFW code and I did not understand :-/
>
> I created a ticket (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9558) with the issue and
> dsaxena wrote:
>
> "The dracut message happens way after OFW has handed off control."
>
> Then it should be a problem in the kernel included in the image?  is a know
> problem?

It's not a kernel problem. It's the communication between OFW and initramfs.

We need someone who knows both areas to chime in, or for someone who
needs it fixed to do the research themselves and figure out the answer
(you?) :)

For example here are some questions you could start on...

If OFW is not passing a root parameter to the kernel command line,
does that mean its not passing any parameters at all? (this is easy to
figure out)

It must be communicating the root device in some form though, so how?
(look at old initramfs code, I guess)
(if I'm writing initramfs code and OFW doesn't give me a root=
parameter, how am I supposed to know whether to look on SD, NAND or
USB for my root filesystem?)

Or if some parameters are already passed then which ones are they?
What's the policy for adjusting them? (look at OFW code and/or ask on
this mailing list)

Daniel