versioned partitioned upgrading: clean up / config creation

Michael Stone michael at
Wed Nov 4 21:43:49 EST 2009

> Last question for now:
> This part of the page seems to suggest that you only create
> a /versions/configs entry for systems where an unpartitioned layout is
> being used, and no config would be created for a partitioned layout.
> Am I reading that right?
> I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around the whole system and
> perhaps I'm missing something obvious .. Perhaps you designed it so that
> boot configs in /versions/configs are not necessary when we are booting
> from a partitioned system, because the "current" and "alt" image hashes
> can be deduced from the symlinks on the boot partition at /boot
> and /boot/alt ?
> Thanks,
> Daniel

The "configs" mechanism is only used for unpartitioned systems.

The linkage from boot data to tree-ids is, as you say, recorded in the
boot:/boot and boot:/boot/alt symlinks.

I don't think the current writeup says where the contents manifests should be
stored on partitioned systems.