how to confuse the user

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sat May 30 03:07:42 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 22:34, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
> Recently I've been experimenting with booting my XO from an USB
> stick.  I've been using the script 'livecd-iso-to-disk' to place
> various F11-based builds (one at a time) onto the USB stick.
>
> Just now, when a newly-created USB stick finished booting on the XO
> (and a virgin sugar 0.84.5-1 was launched), I was presented with a
> nearly-full-screen message saying: "Your Journal is full".  I tried
> various things, but that "nag" screen kept reappearing (and thereby
> prevented me from *using* my XO's screen to do what I wanted).
>

> My complaint is that there was __no way__ that I could see to get
> rid of this "nag" screen.  [It did have a "Show Journal content"
> button - when I pressed that, the Journal View came up (telling me
> "Your Journal is empty"), but was promptly replaced by the "nag"
> screen ("Your Journal is full") again.  Somehow (I don't know what I
> did to free myself) I managed to get to Home View, from which I
> launched 'Terminal'.  Even then the "nag" screen (now blocking my
> view of 'Terminal') showed up at least one more time.
>
> IF you are going to bring up a message to the user which obscures
> some of the XO screen -- there should be an *obvious* way (for
> instance, an 'X' in the upper right corner) for the user to get rid
> of that message.  To keep showing a message that gets in the way of
> the user actually doing anything -- only serves to confuse the user.

Thanks for the email, though it would be really great if you sent
sugar-specific emails to sugar-devel and entered tickets in
dev.sugarlabs.org for issues like this that obviously should be
tracked and fixed. If you search there before filing this ticket, you
will find that a ticket already exists, and maybe you would like to
add your opinion on what the desired behavior would be.

Thanks again,

Tomeu