how to confuse the user

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Fri May 29 16:34:55 EDT 2009

Recently I've been experimenting with booting my XO from an USB
stick.  I've been using the script 'livecd-iso-to-disk' to place
various F11-based builds (one at a time) onto the USB stick.

Just now, when a newly-created USB stick finished booting on the XO
(and a virgin sugar 0.84.5-1 was launched), I was presented with a
nearly-full-screen message saying: "Your Journal is full".  I tried
various things, but that "nag" screen kept reappearing (and thereby
prevented me from *using* my XO's screen to do what I wanted).

My complaint is that there was __no way__ that I could see to get
rid of this "nag" screen.  [It did have a "Show Journal content"
button - when I pressed that, the Journal View came up (telling me
"Your Journal is empty"), but was promptly replaced by the "nag"
screen ("Your Journal is full") again.  Somehow (I don't know what I
did to free myself) I managed to get to Home View, from which I
launched 'Terminal'.  Even then the "nag" screen (now blocking my
view of 'Terminal') showed up at least one more time.

IF you are going to bring up a message to the user which obscures
some of the XO screen -- there should be an *obvious* way (for
instance, an 'X' in the upper right corner) for the user to get rid
of that message.  To keep showing a message that gets in the way of
the user actually doing anything -- only serves to confuse the user.

mikus

p.s.  It would be nice if the "Journal is full" message did not get
       shown when the Journal was in fact empty.