overhead in a G1G1 environment

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Fri May 29 14:46:51 EDT 2009

A bit of background about olpc-update 'pushes':

@pgf:
> as i recall, there was/is a provision for OLPC to "push" (via
> that polling mechanism) updates to the g1g1 machines.

Correct. See

   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Update_streams
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Mstone/Commentaries/Mass_olpc-update
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Theft_deterrence_protocol

for details.

> i don't believe it's ever been turned on, and, in my opinion, is
> unlikely to be.

Actually, it was used, as hinted in item #9 of

   http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/community-news/2008-February/000098.html

to help get people onto 7.1.2 (656) which fixed several hard- and soft-bricking
bugs in previous releases. (See

   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/7.1.1
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/7.1.2

for details.)

Finally, as I recall, it was not used to push 8.1.* (703) because of

   http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7093 and
   http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7158

and it was not used to push 8.2.* because we didn't want to drop the UI
reorganization on people who hadn't asked for it.

Regards,

Michael