oatslite: a small theft deterrence protocol implementation

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu May 28 11:32:57 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> 2009/5/28 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>:
>> BTW, do you have any insight into how often the client queries the server?
>
> The default that comes with the OS causes the probabilities to come
> true about once per day. This can be changed by the theft deterrence
> server for future requests in the "update" part of the response.

Curious question: once per day based on what 'daily uptime'? Some of
the assumptions I am making

 - if power is limited, it'll be used for no more than 3hrs per day at
the school
 - if teacher interest is moderate to low, it may see very short usage
times in the school (away from school is a different matter!)
 - if the expiry is looming, a long weekend of holiday may be looming
too. go get that lease :-)

so I've made the code a bit greedier I think. Anyway, I've pushed the
results out:

   http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/olpc-update/

> olpc-update-query is also called by cron every 15 minutes.

Good point.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions