How to get sugar config values without a console?

pgf at pgf at
Thu May 28 10:48:30 EDT 2009

martin wrote:
 > I'm working on olpc-update-query, a script that runs without a tty
 > (from NM hooks and cron) and needs to query Sugar configuration stuff.
 > To make things more complicated, it runs as root :-/
 > It's a good thing that we have sugar-control-panel, but at least on
 > 0.82 it doesn't work unless you're in Terminal. Strangely enough, it
 > tries to load gtk.

if you're root, use the force:

     # fetch the local X server's XAUTHORITY variable
     eval "$( xargs -n 1 -0 < /proc/$(pidof X)/environ | grep '^XAUTHORITY=')"
     export XAUTHORITY
     export DISPLAY=:0

 test "$XAUTHORITY" || get_x_credentials

 sugar-control-panel -blah