ffreep support on Geode LX (XO-1)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-olpc-devel at silbe.org
Tue May 5 08:20:42 EDT 2009

Hi!

While trying to use sugar-jhbuild on DebXO (Debian on XO-1), I encountered several programs that crashed with SIGILL, apparently during execution of ffreep. While the "AMD Athlon Processor x86 Code Optimization Guide" [1] claims that "although insufficiently documented in the past, [ffreep] is supported by all 32-bit x86 processors", the AMD Geode LX datasheet [2] doesn't list ffreep.

As ffreep was added to gcc 3.4 [3] and Build 801 seems to use 4.3.0, I'm wondering whether it has been patched/configured in some way to avoid this issue or whether the processor actually supports it and something else on my machine is broken.

[1] http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/22007.pdf
[2] http://www.amd.com/files/connectivitysolutions/geode/geode_lx/33234d_lx_ds.pdf
[3] http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2002-11/msg01386.html

CU Sascha