Does antitheft.py in olpcrd ever do anything?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon May 4 15:25:44 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> I don't think so. As far as I'm aware, it does nothing, but there were
> probably plans for implementing some things later.  I don't know
> exactly what is pending or the reasons behind the design decision,
> Scott is probably a good person to ask nicely...

At the bottom of http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Theft_deterrence_protocol
there's mention of /security/events as the socket to communicate with
oatc.

>>  - If you have root, it's easy to remove the NM script, whereas
>> fiddling with init is pretty hard. However, even if you remove the NM
>> hooks, the checks are performed on boot.
>
> No they aren't. Or does your proposal include adding such checks during boot?

I am thinking of the simple check of "do we have a still-current
lease". Following find_lease() we do end up in verify_act() which does
check that /security/lease.sig is good and current.

Or are you thinking of something else?

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions