XO boot problem

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Mar 10 14:29:26 EDT 2009

> While the firmware update will solve the immediate problem where
> OpenFirmware crashes when minor corruption is encountered, unclean
> shutdowns will lead to file corruption causing more, probably
> less-obvious problems down the line.

How solid is the jffs2 file system?  If I remove power while writes are in
progress, what are the chances of the whole file system getting trashed
and/or just the file I'm working on getting trashed?  (I'm happy if I get
either the old or new file.)  Are there other possibilities, like a directory
getting trashed?

If a program writes to a file, how long before the data buffered in memory
gets pushed out to "disk"?

Is there an fsck for jffs2?  If something nasty happens to the file system on
my XO, what are my chances of recovering any useful data?