8.2.1 WPA testing

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Mar 3 00:29:14 EST 2009

> Yes, my experience is also that WPA2 is more reliable. However, don't
> forget that 8.2.1 introduces another regression which I can reproduce
> every time where the WPA2 (and WPA) connection is not automatically
> reestablished on reboot - association and WPA2 handshake succeeds, but
> the system receives no response during DHCP. (have not tested if the
> problem is in TX or RX path)

I happen to have a setup that makes it easy to spy on my DHCP server.  I have
DHCP disabled in my WiFi box so it forwards the request over the Ethernet to
my DSL modem.

I did the following:
  stopped an XO  (Home/Shutdown menu)
  started tcpdump writing to a file
  checked the time
  booted the XO (power button)
  waited until it was connected to a Mesh Network
  waited some more to leave a gap in the tcpdump info
  checked the time
  poked my AP icon
  waited until it got connected
  stopped tcpdump

There were no packets from my XO until I poked the AP icon.

I see a pair of bootp transactions.  3 ms response to each query, 2 queries
60 ms apart.  As far as I can see, the pairs are identical (except for
timestamps).

A second try showed 34 ms between pairs.

Both runs showed a total of 50 packets from/to the XO