Collaboration test environment problem

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Mon Mar 2 10:40:09 EST 2009

I have two PCs running Fedora 10 and the Sugar RPMs that come with
that.  One of the computers runs GNOME and the other uses Window Maker.
I run sugar-emulate on both.  One copy of Sugar uses the name "jim" and
the other uses "jsimmons".  Both use the schoolserver.media.mit.edu
jabber server.  Both are connected to the same router using Ethernet cables.

When I go to the neighborhood view (F1) on both I see a number of
"buddies".  However, while on the "jim" machine (Window Maker) I can see
and invite "jsimmons".  When I look at the same view on "jsimmons"
(GNOME) I  cannot see user "jim", although I can see other users.  So
one can see the other, but not vice versa.  I had used the same machines
on the same network to test collaboration in the past and it worked.  At
that time one was using Xubuntu installed from the Xubuntu Live CD and
the other was using openSUSE 10.2 and sugar-jhbuild.

I can't test and develop collaboration until I get these machines to
both see each other and I don't know where to begin.  I'd be grateful
for any suggestions.

Thanks,

James Simmons