XO memory size

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Mar 2 06:54:17 EST 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 02:01:41AM -0800, Derek Zhou wrote:
> Now I narrowed down my X related slowdown to one culprit, and I still cannot
> believe it:
> It's not different versions of debxo or hardware or nand vs usb or jffs2 vs ext3,
> It is the window manager I am using: windowMaker.
> I've been using windowMaker together with rxvt since forever and both softwares
> are very stable (to the point of stagnant) and why oh why windowMaker, rxvt and
> olpc make such an unholy threesome.

Interesting.  It is probably doing something wrong, or something that is
a particularly bad move on XO.

I use WindowMaker all the time on my main desktop, but because something
went wrong some time ago I held the package version at 0.92.0-5.3.  The
version currently available in Squeeze is 0.92.0-8

So, trying wmaker 0.92.0-8 in rxvt using debxo 0.5, I see entirely
different results to rxvt under kwin: 14.422s, 14.366s, 14.392s.
[80x24]

And for a fully maximised rxvt, 25 seconds.  That's very similar to your
numbers.

You've clearly narrowed the field.