rotate button sucks on the XO

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Sun Mar 1 17:53:37 EST 2009

Eben Eliason wrote:
> This whole argument, I feel, is fruitless.  That's just my opinion, of course.
>
> The touchpad isn't readily accessible in handheld mode, and was never
> made to be.  I'll continue to suggest that the cursor simply be
> automatically hidden in handheld mode, and that a simple means for
> taking full advantage of the handheld buttons which are present be
> made available to activities in a standardized way.

This argument rests on the wrong assumption that the user can only
rotate the screen in handheld mode. Of course the user can open the
laptop as a book and read it rotated while using the touchpad with one
of his thumbs.
> A suggestion for how this standardized system might work is laid out
> rather clearly at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Browse#Handheld_Mode.  I'd
> very much like to see an API for the press and press-and-hold states
> of these buttons so that activities could take advantage of it easily
I have read this page but it does not talk about screen rotation at all.
Unfortunately (last time I checked) most of the activities are handling
keyboard focus badly and they usually need some help with the touchpad
to focus to their scrollable area. In handheld mode it means opening the
screen a little bit as david Lang has just said.

A footnote is that this latter touchpad usage conflicts with the one I
have talked about halfway on this page, just imagine it.... :)

ps:
I would like to hear a similarly interesting conversation about the
xvideo surface and X11 driver, please!