Browse.xo -- preserving a downloaded filename?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 13:17:48 EDT 2009

Using Browse.xo v101 on 8.2.x I cannot get Browse.xo to save a file
with the name that I am requesting.

Browse.xo seems to take the name I hint from the server (from the URL
and using an 'content-disposition: attachment, filename="leases.sig"'
header). But it renames it as

  "File leases.sig downloaded from http://.. "

Filenames are often important. Even minor changes to a filename can
cause a lot of user grief.

In general, OSs (from the kernel to the UI) try to keep the sanctity
of the filename as they do with the data. When they don't, all sorts
of trouble ensues. We wouldn't mangle the user's data. We shouldn't
mangle the filenames.

Decorating the filenames with additional metadata is _cool_ otoh...

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions