activity launch screen

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Jun 13 18:32:22 EDT 2009

With XO-1, was monkeying around with a recent fedora-xo build, and
accidentally removed a font directory.  That confused X, with the
result that it drew things more compactly than it was supposed to.

I had launched Terminal.  With the Terminal "window" now occupying
less than a quarter of my screen area -- the "launch screen" (with
its pulsing Terminal icon in the middle) kept still being shown for
more than a minute after the Terminal "window" itself had appeared.

I speculate that the pulsing "launch screen" *always* persists until
it times out -- but since it normally appears "behind" the started
Activity's screen, the user doesn't realize it is still pulsing.

Let me suggest that when an "activity launch" is complete (i.e.,
when what the user sees is screen content drawn by the Activity),
there is no need to continue the "pulsing" (which served as eye
candy while the user was waiting to start using the Activity).

mikus

p.s.   Last year, I wrote a laptop.org ticket saying "If I'm looking
at a pulsing 'activity launch' screen, and I want to kill that
screen (for instance, because that Activity appears to *not* be
starting), I have no way of _stopping_ the showing of that screen.
All I can do is to wait for it to time out."  That ticket got
closed, with an explanation along the lines of "we know about this".