hack/fix for (Re: XO frequently hangs on shutdown w/ 0.82)

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Wed Jun 10 01:38:40 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 18:58 +0100, Daniel Drake wrote:
> 2009/6/3 Bobby Powers <bobbypowers at gmail.com>:
> > hey Dan,
> >
> > I tried to summarize the issues here:
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bootanim
> >
> > is there more I should address?  how would you avoid using
> > VT_WAITACTIVE?  I have some free time, so I can try to fix these over
> > the next few days.
>
> In similar fashion to this:
> http://www.brontes3d.com/opensource/dist/v1.2/overlay/sys-apps/kbd/files/kbd-1.12-chvt-userwait.patch
>
> In other words.. use VT_GETSTATE to check the current active console,
> in a loop, calling VT_ACTIVATE until happy.
>
> Not a great solution, but I think we should put it in place and see if
> it kills this bug. The real solution needs kernel help, and I think
> the kernel developers would say "lets pencil this in for when we move
> the console layer into userspace" which is a slow moving effort.
>
> Daniel

As pgf and dsd have thought, the problem lies in the ul-warning script

I tried to reproduce the problem w/ the following bash script but to no
avail

testshutdown.sh

  poweroff &
  while true; do chvt 3; done

my bash skills are likely lacking

pgf and dsd probably could fix this eventually but the easiest way is to
simply disable the script so that the image is not displayed at
shutdown. We dont' have any legal reasons that compel us to display the
ul-warning so we are just going to remove it from our custom build.

Please let me know if removing ul-warning will cause any adverse effects
besides not displaying the ul-warning image.

tks again to pgf, dsd, quozl, and others who have helped

--
Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director