XO frequently hangs on shutdown w/ 0.82

Bobby Powers bobbypowers at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 20:25:58 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 6:06 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > >> I tried to summarize the issues here:
>>  > >> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bootanim
>>  > >>
>>  > >> is there more I should address?  how would you avoid using
>>  > >> VT_WAITACTIVE?  I have some free time, so I can try to fix these over
>>  > >> the next few days.
>>  > >
>>  > > In similar fashion to this:
>>  > >
>>  > http://www.brontes3d.com/opensource/dist/v1.2/overlay/sys-apps/kbd/files/kbd-1.1
>>  > 2-chvt-userwait.patch
>>  > >
>>  > > In other words.. use VT_GETSTATE to check the current active console,
>>  > > in a loop, calling VT_ACTIVATE until happy.
>>  > >
>>  > > Not a great solution, but I think we should put it in place and see if
>>  > > it kills this bug. The real solution needs kernel help, and I think
>>  > > the kernel developers would say "lets pencil this in for when we move
>>  > > the console layer into userspace" which is a slow moving effort.
>>  >
>>  > I have a test of the olpc animation running on plymouth that I've been
>>  > working on with the plymouth devs. Its working fine on my eeepc and
>>  > dell laptop. I'm not sure if the bootanim does anything other than
>>  > pretty pictures. No good for XO 8.2.x I know but possibly useful for
>>  > F11 side of things.
>>
>> hi peter --
>>
>> bootanim does both the boot-time animation and the shutdown
>> ul-warning screen.  it does the boot animation in an extremely
>> efficient manner, shaving 10 or 11 seconds off our current boot
>> times:
>
> 10 or 11 seconds off what? the previous bootanim version? text based
> startup without it?
>
>>    http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2009-March/023688.html
>>
>> given the optimization that bobby and mitch put in, i suspect
>> plymouth won't match it, time-wise.  (though i'd love to be proven
>> wrong, of course!)
>
> I wouldn't know off the top of my head but plymouth was designed to do
> two things. Firstly a smooth startup with basically no flash from the
> bios (on a standard PC) through to X, and speed. the old rhgb was
> slow. Would be interesting to see a comparison.

I have yet to play with it, but my understanding was Plymouth was
reliant on kernel mode setting.  The geode doesn't do that, but on XOs
we do seem to have full 1400x900 resolution for the terminals, so I'm
not sure if they will play well together.  I've meant to try out
plymouth, this seems to be pretty good motivation.

Bobby