Bootloader question

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 10:39:43 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 5:55 AM, Mitch Bradley <wmb at laptop.org> wrote:
>> 18 seconds to initrd load
>
> dominated by decompression time.   Eliminate the initrd ...

I'm working on the initrd a but so tested a few things today.

Once under linux, a cold-cache read of the initrd takes ~300ms, and
the decompression about 1s. Changing the compression to '-1' (fastest)
shaves maybe 200ms. OFW doesn't like non-gzipped initrds ;-)

I'm tempted to say that reading/uncompressing the initrd is to blame
only for about 1.3s -- probably 2s if we count cpio's work.

This work is being carried out by OFW, which doesn't seem to be any
slower -- following the messages on screen, the 'reading ramdisk' step
doesn't take more than 2s.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions