is anyone actually doing Windows on XO work here?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 07:37:44 EDT 2009

Ed,

Lee Harvey Oswald was part of an ensemble group. See:

http://chnm.gmu.edu/digitalhistory/links/cached/introduction/link0.20.in-a-gadda-da-oswald_files/oswald.jpe

More seriously, I don't know if it is possible, but getting Nicholas
to stop making a "scrambled egg" out of the software stack with his
"omelet" analogy would go a long ways to reducing the confusion in the
media as well. His continued insistence that Sugar is an operating
system--the problem--is being spoken out of ignorance and does not
reflect well on either project. As you know better than most, the bulk
of the software engineering effort at OLPC has been in support of
getting the hardware to boot, drivers, security, power management,
etc. All critical tasks, whether or not this is an education project.
Sugar (or any other user-facing) bits have always been and still are
almost entirely separate from these engineering necessities, as is
content development and the bulk of the deployment work. (The points
of overlap are in regard to managing some aspects of security and
updates.)

-walter

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs